Our value this half term is COOPERATION.
Home Page

Crawley Green
Infant School

Valuing the individual and celebrating achievement

Valuing the individual and celebrating achievement


Mrs Clare Whybrow is the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) and can be contacted at the school.

SEN Information Report

(School Local Offer)

(Reviewed) 27th November 2017

Mrs Whybrow: Assistant Headteacher, Inclusion Manager/SENCO


The Government has published a range of provisions to improve the quality and scope of support available to children and young people with special educational needs, as well as their parents.

Included in these provisions from the 1st September 2014 is:

A requirement for local authorities to publish a “Local Offer” of services to disabled children and young people and those with special educational needs (SEND).

A requirement for all individual schools to publish an SEN Information Report that outlines their provision for children with disabilities and special educational needs.

You can access this information from the local authority via the following link:



At Crawley Green Infant School we believe in achievement, ambition and progress for all children. Our mission statement is to “value the individual”.

We aim to meet the needs of individual children through highly effective, quality teaching and learning.

There is an emphasis on early identification of needs through supportive and preventative strategies which reduce barriers to learning.

We work in a flexible way to develop effective partnerships with children and their parents/carers, the Inclusion Manager, support staff and external professionals such as speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, educational psychologists and child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHs) to ensure that the school can meet a broad range of special educational needs.

We undertake a rigorous system of monitoring children’s progress, supporting academic and personal achievement. We attempt to do this by attempting to remove barriers to learning and by using a wide range of strategies to foster a culture of lifelong learning and independent living skills appropriate to the age of our children.


  1. How does the school identify and organise support for children with special educational needs?

We recognise that children with special educational needs or disabilities may be identified by parents/carers, teachers, support staff, outside agencies or any person involved with the child.

Typically in school concerns are raised where there is limited progress or there is a change in the child’s rate of progress or behaviour.

The education of every child is differentiated accordingly to suit the child’s individual needs. This may include additional general in-class support by the teacher or a teaching assistant.

If a pupil has needs related to a more specific area of their education, such as reading or handwriting etc. then the child will be placed in a small focus intervention group.

Where a child’s educational needs are additional and different to the normal range of teaching differentiation strategies/intervention groups, then their highly individualised support is outlined in an IEP (individual education plan).


  1. Who are the key people in the school available to discuss parental/carers concerns about their child’s difficulties?

Parents/carers who are concerned about the well-being or progress of their child should contact the child’s class teacher in the first instance, who will liaise with the appropriate staff within the school.

The Inclusion Manager/SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) at Crawley Green Infant School is Mrs Whybrow.

Parents/carers can contact the school via telephone, letter, and e-mail or in person and can make an appointment to see relevant staff.

Scheduled meetings with parents/carers include:

  • Termly consultation meetings to which all parents/carers are invited
  • IEP (individual education plan) review meetings where appropriate
  • Annual review meetings where appropriate

Parents can, of course, speak to their class teacher informally at the end of the school day.


  1. How will parents/carers be informed about a child’s progress within school and how will his/her progress be measured?

Progress will be measured through:

  • The schools usual levelling and target setting procedures with associated outcomes
  • Regular teacher assessments
  • Highly individualised outcomes from IEP’s (individual education plan) where appropriate

Parents will be informed about progress through:

  • Termly consultation meetings
  • IEP review meetings where appropriate
  • End of year reports
  • Telephone calls and/or parental meetings in school
  • Home/school books where appropriate


  1. What support will parents/carers receive if their child has been identified as having special educational needs/disability (SEND)?

Partnership with parents/carers plays a key role in enabling children with SEND to achieve their full potential. The school recognises that parents/carers hold key information and have knowledge and experience to contribute to a shared view of their child’s needs and the best ways of supporting them.

All parents/carers of children with SEND will be able to access support through:

  • Regular meetings with relevant staff and regular opportunities to discuss progress, concerns and developments, and be involved in setting targets and agreeing outcomes. This will occur at least termly.
  • Liaison with outside support agencies/specialist professionals in-school
  • Support from the schools Family Worker, Mrs. Martin
  • Parents/carers may be helped to contact relevant external agencies and support groups such as The Parent Partnership.


  1. What support is offered to ensure the wellbeing of children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)?

At Crawley Green we strive to ensure the wellbeing of all our children regardless of their needs. We have a dedicated, well-resourced Nurture Room, “Elmer’s Room”, which is available for the pastoral support of all our children, but is especially important for the support of children experiencing social or emotional difficulties.

Wellbeing is supported through the following:

  • Each teacher having a knowledge and understanding of the children in their care
  • Medical needs being addressed through a detailed care plan where appropriate
  • Medicines being administered in line with the relevant school policy
  • The Family Worker supporting children and their parents/families
  • Signposting to external agencies to support the wellbeing of the child
  • Carefully planned transition between year groups and other schools

In-school interventions may include:

  • Self-esteem/nurture groups
  • Social skills groups/friendship groups
  • Lunch time/break time support
  • Behaviour support strategies

We also have a small sensory room which can be used with children who need to be in a calm environment.


  1. How will teaching be adapted to support the child with SEND?

All teachers at Crawley Green are teachers of children with special educational needs. Inclusion is underpinned by high quality teaching that aims to meet the needs of the majority of the children through differentiation and targeted in-class support.

Where a child’s support goes above and beyond the usual differentiation, the Inclusion Manager/SENCO and external agencies may need to provide advice and resources to support teachers in delivering teaching through an IEP that is personalised to meet the child’s individual needs. Targets are set according to the child’s area of difficulty and implemented by the class teacher. IEP’s are reviewed once a term by the class teacher, usually coinciding with the termly consultation meetings.


  1. What different types of support can the child receive in school?

All teachers have relevant teaching qualifications. Special educational provision is consistently underpinned by high quality teaching that is differentiated and personalised to meet individual needs.

All teachers and support staff receive regular and appropriate training to ensure that they are kept up to date with and informed of new developments. Individual staff may receive specific training to meet the needs of a particular child. Recent training that some/all teaching staff have received include:

  • Autism Awareness training
  • Selective Mutism
  • Early Childhood Trauma



Support for children may vary according to an individual learning or medical need, and may include:

  • Participation in intervention groups such as reading, phonics and social skills
  • Timetables being adapted to meet individual needs
  • In-class small group support
  • 1-1 support to address the targets in a child’s IEP
  • Use of individual visual timetables
  1. of the above are regularly reviewed as the needs of the children develop and change and staffing is managed to best fit the needs of the children.


  1. How will the school support your child in unstructured times such as lunchtimes and playtimes and enable him/her to have access to after school clubs, school trips and journeys?

Crawley Green Infant School complies with the Disability Discrimination Act (2010) in making reasonable adjustments for children with SEND.

Activities and school trips are available to all.

Risk assessments are carried out for all trips in compliance with Local Authority Policy and procedures/staffing are put in place to ensure that all children can participate. However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1-1 support is required a parent/carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity. Parents/carers may be asked to be involved in the organisation of the trip/activity if the staff feel their cooperation is necessary to the success of their child’s involvement.

Additional teaching assistant support can be made available to enable all children to access and enjoy unstructured times, such as playtimes and lunchtimes.

Extra-curricular activities/clubs are available to all the children.

At Crawley Green Infant School we don’t run our own before/after school clubs so if a parent/carer needed this provision they would need to contact the providers directly to clarify any additional support their child may need.


  1. How does the school involve children in decisions that affect them?

When a child has been identified as having a special educational need and an IEP has been produced to support and direct their learning needs, the child is involved in producing a one page profile. This enables the child to be involved in their leaning journey in a child-friendly way and is age appropriate.

The one-page profiles are easily accessible to all staff and supply staff who may come into contact with the children.


  1. How are the schools resources allocated to support children with SEND?

The schools SEN budget is allocated each financial year.

A proportion of the schools delegated budget is available to children with identified special educational needs and/or disabilities. This budget is allocated to staffing, physical and educational resources and staff training. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependant on the individual child’s needs.

Where a higher level of intensive support is deemed necessary for the child to access the curriculum within a mainstream setting, the school/parents/carers can request assessment for a higher level of funding through an Education and Health Care Plan.

SEND support is mapped across each year group on class intervention plans and this is reviewed on a termly basis and given to the Inclusion Manager/SENCO for monitoring.

The Inclusion Manager/SENCO produces a Co-ordinators report termly evaluating the effectiveness of the overall SEN provision, but the provision for/progress of individual children with identified SEND is monitored bi-annually through the school Liaison Meetings.


  1. What services external to the school can provide support to children with SEND?

As a school we draw upon the expertise of a wide range of external professionals to support children with SEND. They are used in school to provide observations, carry out assessments, and provide reports, advice/strategies for teachers and parents and to attend multi professionals meetings.

The external agencies include:

  • Educational Psychology Service (EPS)
  • Early Years Special Educational Needs Advisor
  • Key Stage One Special Educational Needs Advisor
  • Autism Team
  • Occupational Therapy (OT)
  • Speech and Language Therapy Service (SALT)
  • Hearing Impaired Team (HI)
  • Visually Impaired Team (VI)
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMH)
  • The Edwin Lobo Child Development Centre (ELC)
  • Outreach Team from Lady Zia Wernher (physical difficulties)
  • Alternative Learner Progression Service (ALPS) (behaviour support)
  • School and Community Nursing Service
  • Social Services
  • Child Protection Team
  • Support Team for Looked After Children (LAC)
  • Virtual Schools Service


  1. How are staff in the school supported to work with children with special educational needs and what training do they have?

All teachers are teachers of children with special educational needs as part of our inclusive education system. Special educational provision is always underpinned by high quality teaching that is differentiated to meet the needs of all children.

All teachers will encounter a wide range of children with different special educational needs, some of whom will have disabilities. In the majority of cases, the action necessary to respond to an individual’s requirements will be met through greater differentiation of tasks and materials and support within the classroom. Where a child’s need is identified as being additional, specific training can be arranged to all staff supporting that child.

All teachers receive regular feedback and training in order for them to deliver high quality teaching that is differentiated and personalised to meet individual needs as is necessary. This training can form part of a teachers Continual Professional Development. Where individual training needs are identified or requested these can be managed through the Performance Management cycle.

As a school we draw upon the expertise of a wide range of external professionals to support children with SEND. The Inclusion Manager, Head teacher and Family Worker chair a bi-annual School Liaison Meeting which is a multi-professional meeting to discuss children with SEND. Through our close working links with the Local Authority’s SEN team we are able to discuss any children that we/parents/carers have concerns about, so as to begin to address their individual needs as soon as we can.


  1. How will the school support the child in moving on to another school or to the next key stage in their schooling?

We have an effective transition program and established links with our Nursery/Pre-School feeder schools and receiving schools which include:

  • Transition meetings with key staff from the feeder Nursery and parents/carers to discuss individual children’s needs.
  • Additional advice and support for training can be sought from the relevant external professional if this is deemed necessary for a successful transition.
  • Transfer and exchange of information and assessment data.
  • Home visits if appropriate
  • Transition sessions where the children spend time with their new class and teacher.
  • Additional transition sessions can be arranged if it is thought necessary.
  • The Inclusion Manager from our receiving Junior School is invited to attend the Summer Term School Liaison Meeting.
  • Towards the end of the summer term the children’s SEN files and final reviewed IEP’s are handed over in person to the main receiving Junior School.



  1. How accessible is the school environment?

As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements, however Crawley Green Infant School is not completely wheelchair accessible. Some of the newer areas of the school are wheelchair accessible and we have a couple of toilets adapted for disabled users, however there are several internal stairways which, by their position, are not suitable for ramp access.

Adaptations and reasonable adjustments are made as necessary including:

  • Adaptations to the timetable e.g. start/finish time
  • Provision of equipment
  • Translation Tool on the schools website for parents/carers whose first language is not English.
  • Some disabled toileting and changing facilities



  1. Who can parents/carers contact for further information at Crawley Green Infant School?

Parents/carers who are concerned about the wellbeing or progress of their child should contact the child’s class teacher in the first instance, who will liaise with the Year Leader/Inclusion Manager/Family Worker as appropriate to provide additional support and/or intervention.

Parents/carers can also contact the Inclusion Manager/SENCO directly via the school office.

General information on the school’s policies and procedures, and communications with parents can be found on the schools website.

If you are considering applying to the school you can contact the Head Teacher via the school office for an initial visit, but you would also need to contact the Luton Local Authority Admission Team.

The Luton Borough Council website contains information on facilities and services for all children and young people with special educational needs across Luton and contains a link to the Luton Local Offer.


I hope these questions have answered any queries you may have, but do not hesitate to contact the school if you have any questions.


Mrs Whybrow, Assistant Headteacher and Inclusion Manager/SENCO.